Liskow & Lewis believes diversity, equity, and inclusion are much more than a statement. We know that a diverse legal team produces better results and is what is best for our clients. The firm is constantly introducing new initiatives to promote and retain diverse attorneys and to promote and ensure an inclusive work culture. Our pursuit of inclusion encompasses gender equality, ethnic diversity, disabilities, and the acceptance of individual lifestyle choices and expressions. The firm’s commitment to and progress in pursuit of increased diversity has received recognition from industry associations and client partners. For example, Liskow was awarded Chevron's Law Function's 2019 Law Firm Diversity Award, and in 2017, BP recognized the firm with the inaugural BP Legal Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Award.
The firm has several internal programs that promote DE&I, examples include:
- Each year, the firm formally celebrates Black History Month with a presentation led by notable diverse speakers. In February, the firm celebrated its 17th Annual Black History Month Program with distinguished speaker Cashauna Hill Ward, the Executive Director of the Louisiana Fair Housing Action Center. Other special guests have included presenters like, Ruby Bridges, the first African American child to integrate an elementary school in the South, and Phoebe Ferguson and Keith Plessy, founders of the Plessy & Ferguson Foundation.
- The firm has an annual internal “Liskow & Lewis Diversity Champion Award” to recognize an attorney who makes substantial contributions to the advancement of diversity within the firm.
- The firm has an affinity group program, "I.D.E.A.L." (Interoffice Diversity Engagement at Liskow), to benefit its diverse/minority attorneys.
- The firm provides ongoing DE&I programs and training for lawyers and clients.
Outside our Organization
Liskow & Lewis lawyers have served in leadership roles and actively participate in national and local organizations that promote diversity within the legal profession. We frequently sponsor events hosted by law schools and professional organizations that share our commitment to diversity in the legal profession. Examples of recent events and initiatives we have taken include:
- Houston Urban Debate League Awards Luncheon
- United Negro College Fund Sponsorship Walk for Education
- Houston Bar Association’s Gender Fairness Committee Meetings and Events - Anniversary Celebration, Implicit Bias Networking Breakfast
- State Bar of Texas Minority Counsel Program
- Louis A. Martinet Legal Society's Annual Scholarship Gala
- Louisiana State Bar Association's Annual Conclave on Diversity in the Legal Profession
- Women's Energy Network Regional and National Events
- Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association Events
- University of Texas Women’s Power Summit on Law & Leadership
- National Bar Association's Awards Breakfast (Former partner Dana Douglas, now a U.S. Magistrate Judge, was awarded the Women Lawyers Division Outstanding Minority Partner in Majority Firm Award in 2018.)
- Happy Hour for Speakers at the ACI Women in Energy and Environmental Law Conference
- Loyola Women in Law Society Cocktail Party
- Louisiana Fair Housing Action Center’s 2021 Fit for a King Summit (Fit for a King is the LaFHAC’s annual tribute to the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to engage the community around fair housing, celebrate the Civil Rights Movement, and inspire change.
Recruiting and Professional Development
Liskow & Lewis regularly recruits top graduates from leading law schools in Louisiana, Texas, and across the country, including those students who share our commitment to continuing the development of a diverse firm culture.
The firm regularly sponsors events aimed exclusively at supporting diverse students. Recent sponsorship examples include:
- Southern University’s Law Review Induction Ceremony and Awards Banquet
- Louisiana State Bar Association’s Suit Up for the Future High School Program. (As part of the program, Liskow provides shadowing opportunities for diverse high school students who are considering the legal profession.)
- Loyola Black Law Students Association’s Scholarship Gala benefitting the Lola Davis Scholarship
- Tulane Law School’s Pre-Law Diversity Program
- Southern University Law School’s Law Review Banquet
In addition to recruiting, promoting and developing women and minority attorneys, Liskow & Lewis believes that mentoring and assisting young attorneys in their professional development is critical. The firm has a formal Mentoring Program that provides each young lawyer with guidance on how to meet the demands of their profession. In addition, realizing that women attorneys and minorities may face unique challenges during their careers, the Diversity Committee ensures that these lawyers receive the additional advice and assistance necessary to meet their professional development needs as well as the needs of their clients.
Liskow is also a member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD). The LCLD provides opportunities for diverse lawyers to receive professional and personal development opportunities, leadership training, and relationship-building opportunities.
"The firm’s approach to selecting and hiring young lawyers for a CAREER at Liskow & Lewis is very attractive to women lawyers – who wouldn’t want the opportunity day in/day out to do challenging work for top-notch clients in an environment where your voice is heard, your opinion valued? This firm is about long-term relationships, and I think that helps promote an environment where women lawyers can see the path to success.”
- Jana Grauberger, Shareholder
Diversity and Inclusion Firm Events
[ "lightbox" : "Diversity" ]