“Clients hire me because of my reputation for providing competent and practical advice and achieving successful litigation results. They continue to use me because I have 35 years of experience with workplace issues of all kinds, I am easy to work with, and I communicate effectively with their management and staff.”
Tommy is the leader of the firm’s commercial litigation practice group and a former member of the firm’s Board of Directors. He is a go-to labor and employment lawyer with experience throughout Louisiana and in Texas and many other states. With his 35 years of experience, he helps employers handle contentious human resources claims and issues, both inside and outside the courtroom. Clients include major energy companies, manufacturers, healthcare providers, schools, maritime companies, museums, restaurants, law firms, and small businesses.
Tommy takes a client-focused approach. In lawsuits and arbitrations, he collaborates with the client team to build a strong case or seek an effective early resolution. In his human resources counseling role, he gathers the facts, analyzes the legal principles, and formulates a practical solution.
Tommy’s work in labor and employment is recognized by both national and local publications. Chambers USA has consistently ranked Tommy in its top level, Band 1, for his Labor & Employment practice. He has also been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as a “Lawyer of the Year” in Litigation – Labor Employment and Employment Law – Management and by Super Lawyers as a “Top 50 Super Lawyer” in Louisiana.
Tommy handles difficult cases in federal and state trial and appellate courts, and arbitrations. His labor and employment experience includes:
- Non-compete and Trade Secret Litigation: Obtaining temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions; seeking declaratory judgments; and protecting employers’ confidential information.
- Retaliation Claims: Defending employers against retaliation claims under Whistle-Blower Statutes, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other discrimination statutes, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and workers compensation statutes.
- Discrimination and Harassment Claims: Defending employers under the Louisiana Employment Discrimination Law, Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, and ERISA.
- Wage and Hour Claims: Defending employers against claims under the FLSA and Louisiana Wage Payment Act.
- Employment Related Agreements: Drafting and litigating employment, non-compete, non-solicitation, confidentiality, and separation agreements, as well as alternative dispute resolution policies and employee handbooks.
- Labor Arbitrations: Presenting the employer’s case in arbitrations involving union grievances related to discipline or contract interpretation.
- Administrative Claims: Defending employers in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), Department of Labor (DOL) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Compliance Advice: Counsels employers on compliance with a myriad of employment laws related to hiring decisions, compensation, discipline, termination, reductions in force, and responding to catastrophes affecting the workplace. Advises clients on emerging issues such as the recent COVID-19 pandemic.
- Training: Conducts training for managers and supervisors on substantive issues, employee relations and litigation avoidance.
Successfully defended a manufacturer’s newly hired employee against illegitimate claims of misappropriation of trade secrets by the manufacturer’s competitor, which was the employee’s former employer. Prevailed in a preliminary injunction trial, following which the competitor/former employer dismissed its suit.
“Tommy McGoey and his staff consistently exceed our expectations in delivering labor/employment law solutions.”
– Best Lawyers Client Comment, 2022