“My favorite cases are complex, document-intensive cases. This is advantageous to clients because I see the big picture – what’s important and what’s not – and this leads to much greater efficiency.”
Carey Menasco is sought by businesses throughout the U.S. for complex commercial litigation involving contractual and other disputes between businesses, intellectual property disputes, professional liability disputes, with an emphasis on legal malpractice defense and D&O liability, and bankruptcy and creditors’ rights. Carey handles cases both in state and federal courts.
Carey’s practice is more heavily weighted to federal court where persuasive writing is critical – and where she excels. Clients rely on Carey’s ability to get to the heart of a case and convey that convincingly.
Here are a few representative clients and cases that illustrate these points:
- Carey’s brief-writing skills were instrumental in securing a summary judgment ruling of a patent’s invalidity for obviousness, which required proof by clear and convincing evidence.
- Carey defended an international law firm facing claims under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), as well as claims for unfair trade practices, fraud, civil conspiracy, conversion and unjust enrichment. The plaintiff claimed that the law firm aided and abetted a client to file a false victim impact statement, resulting in the wrongful seizure and loss of plaintiff’s assets. We filed a motion to dismiss on the basis of improper venue, and convinced the Court that dismissal – rather than transfer – was the appropriate remedy. Because the plaintiff never re-filed the case, we secured victory for the client without ever having to file an answer in the case.
- She secured summary judgment in Louisiana federal court dismissing Louisiana Oil Well Lien Act claims against a Texas operator on grounds of prescription.
- She obtained a $10 million summary judgment in favor of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation as Receiver for Omni National Bank in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Carey helped secure summary judgment dismissal of legal malpractice claims against a major New Orleans firm and its national legal malpractice carrier.
- With other firm attorneys, she secured dismissal of claims seeking damages in excess of $30 million against a major oil company on grounds that the claims had been discharged in a 1988 bankruptcy.
Her bankruptcy and creditors rights work reaches beyond Louisiana, and she also represents lien holders and creditors’ committees in bankruptcy cases.
Clients appreciate Carey’s candor when, as defendant, she sees the potential for liability, or as plaintiff, she sees that recovery may be unlikely. “I like to make sure that my clients are not throwing good money after bad.”
“Carey is fabulous. She is incredibly responsive and helpful in a number of situations.” / “She is super-talented and wonderful to work with. She gets the job done as we need.”
– Chambers USA Client Comment, 2023