Our substantial and experienced real estate practice offers advice and solutions to national and regional property owners, investors, lenders, developers, and commercial landlords and tenants.
We counsel developers and lenders in the acquisition, leasing and financing of real estate and in the construction of industrial plants, residential developments, major office buildings, hotels, and hospitals throughout Louisiana and the South. We also handle closings and issue title insurance through our affiliated title company, Lewis Title Co., Inc.
Our attorneys draft and negotiate leases for both landlords and tenants of office buildings, telecommunications facilities, industrial park complexes, as well as right-of-way agreements for public and private purposes. We also have represented numerous property owners before the Louisiana Tax Commission and local municipalities in matters relating to property tax assessments, as well as before local planning and zoning boards in connection with land use and zoning matters.
Representative real estate matters include:
- Representation of methanol manufacturer client/project owner in the negotiation and documentation of all aspects of development and construction of a $700,000,000.00 blue methanol production plant, including EPC contracting, related consulting and project management agreements, and risk management planning.
- Representation of the nation’s largest homebuilder in connection with its land acquisitions including negotiating purchase agreements, reviewing title, assisting with due diligence, issuing title insurance policies, and closing each acquisition, as well as representing the client in sales of its property including negotiating and drafting closing documents, the issuance of a title and loan policies, and closing the sale. We also assist the client with its development of property into single family residential subdivisions and/or rental communities, including the negotiating and drafting of construction contracts, utility agreements, cooperative endeavor agreements, servitude agreements, and development agreements and working with various governmental entities to obtain final plat approvals, construction approvals, and zoning approvals.
- Representation of several regional and national banks in connection with various real estate and construction financings, handling all aspects of loan transactions (drafting and negotiating of loan documents, title review, and issuing the lender’s policy insuring the mortgage) and due diligence (including review and advice regarding the construction contracts, plans and specifications, construction budget, and construction advance conditions).
- Representation of industrial chemical company in the relocation of its methanol plant from Chile to Louisiana and in its acquisition, development and operation of two additional plants in Louisiana, including the negotiation and documentation of the purchase and sale agreement, construction contracts, servitude agreements, utility agreements, leases, and service contracts and the issuance of title policies in connection with its acquisitions.
- Representation of a number of large corporate tenants in connection with a number of office building leases, which leases included various expansion options, rights of first refusal, contraction options, early termination options, roll-up rights, and a right of first offer to purchase the office building.
- Local counsel to developers and operators in acquisition and development of utility scale solar projects, and representation of landowners with leasing agreements related to utility scale solar projects.
- Representation of developer in the formation and management of economic development districts, community development districts and homeowners associations.
- Representation of international chemical company in the negotiation and documentation numerous real estate agreements in connection with its acquisition of an olefins plant in Louisiana.
- Representation of real estate investment company in the nine-figure sale of a brand new industrial warehouse complex in Avondale, Arizona.
- Representation of pipeline companies in negotiating and acquiring pipeline rights of way and related properties
- Representation of company in connection with the acquisition and remediation of recently decommissioned utility plant and tank farm