“Having litigated and tried many complex cases in state and federal courts around the nation, I have learned that creativity, passion, judgment and focus are the keys to achieving successful outcomes for clients. I listen carefully to my clients and work hard every day to advance their causes and solve their problems. My greatest satisfaction is in knowing that I have done everything I can to bring my experience and talents to bear on behalf of my clients.”
James Brown is an experienced trial lawyer handling complex litigation and trials throughout the courts of Louisiana and the U.S. His practices focuses on banking, contract, and professional liability disputes, class action defense and insurance coverage litigation. He also advises clients in crisis management matters. A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, he has a national reputation in key areas of complex litigation:
- corporate disputes
- class actions
- legal malpractice defense
- director and officer liability
- trusts and estates litigation
- other complex issues
For over three decades, James has represented national and international businesses, financial institutions, national legal malpractice carriers, and law and accounting firms. James has tried difficult, high-stakes cases in these areas in both state and federal courts.
Following multiple terms of service on the firm’s Board of Directors, Compensation Committee and as the Chair of the Commercial Litigation Section, James now serves as the firm’s General Counsel and Loss Prevention Partner. He also heads the Professional Liability Group.
Here are two cases that illustrate James’s value to clients:
- The nation’s largest home builder came to James to defend it in a lawsuit seeking to undo the property covenants upon which it had relied in building out a subdivision. Through creativity and focus, James developed legal theories that led to summary dismissal of the suit, saving the client substantial fees and expenses and protecting it from a major monetary exposure.
- James successfully defended one of the world’s largest actuarial firms against complex professional negligence claims brought by the Louisiana Commissioner of Insurance, as Receiver of a failed Affordable Care Act insurance cooperative. James resolved the claims against his client for a small fraction of the plaintiff’s demand.
James represents other major institutional clients, such as Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society, Inc.. “The unifying theme of these cases is their size, complexity and large exposure,” James notes.
James serves as the Chair of the Louisiana State Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He also is the President-Elect of the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel. He is a past Chair of the American Bar Association Presidential Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability by appointment of the President of the ABA. This select standing Committee plans, sponsors and produces the biannual ABA National Legal Malpractice Conference, which draws together hundreds of leading attorneys and insurance industry professionals from around the nation.
“His leadership, confidence and unwavering determination to remain focused despite very difficult circumstances are impressive and appreciated.” / “James is an awesome lawyer, he’s outstanding in every way.”
– Chambers USA Client Comment, 2023