Liskow & Lewis advises secured and unsecured creditors in business reorganizations under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code, and, in certain circumstances we have represented debtors involved in complex reorganizations. Our team has experience in all aspects of bankruptcy litigation. Our bankruptcy lawyers assist in the restructuring of debt and liquidation of businesses, including business actions taken in the wake of natural disasters, such as Hurricanes Katrina or Rita. Such matters include the numerous types of commercial disputes that arise in a bankruptcy case, including leases, employment contracts and enforcement of security interests. Our lawyers’ experience includes corporate reorganizations from both the debtor and creditor perspective and the representation of individual debtors with complex issues.
Our lawyers have extensive experience with the challenges and opportunities that accompany the restructuring of any business entity. Our team works seamlessly with lawyers from other practice areas across the firm to identify appropriate strategic direction, and serve the interests of clients in a cross section of industries.
Litigation & Disputes
In the event bankruptcy ushers in disputes and litigation, our lawyers have experience in all aspects of litigation, and work closely with clients to identify a strategic path consistent with desired goals.
We have significant experience handling issues related to distressed asset sales. Our team employs an efficient process in order to secure approval of sale procedures, all appropriate documents, and otherwise facilitate asset sales.
Experienced representation before creditors’ committees is a critical part of the bankruptcy process. Our lawyers offer extensive experience in this area, advising committees on issues and strategy.
Representative matters include:
- The successful representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Superior Offshore International, Inc. In this case, the unsecured creditors were paid in full, with interest, following the liquidation of the debtor’s assets
- Currently representing largest secured creditor in bankruptcy of South Louisiana Ethanol, LLC
- Successfully represented largest secured creditor in bankruptcy of 730 Bienville Partners, Ltd.
- Successfully represented several oil companies in bankruptcies of Energy Partners, Ltd., Edge Petroleum Corp., and Palm Oil
- Successfully represented as lead counsel the Unsecured Creditors' Committee of Entergy New Orleans, Inc.
- Successfully represented the indenture trustee for the publicly traded debt in the bankruptcy of the land-based casino in New Orleans.
- Successfully represented the creditors’ committee in the bankruptcy of a major oil-trading company.
- Successfully represented a group of operators of mineral operators in the bankruptcy of a major independent oil and gas exploration and production company.
- Successfully represented a national bank as the senior secured creditor of a marine fabricator.
- Successfully represented the creditors’ committee in the bankruptcy of a producer of metal structures.
- Acted as lead counsel for the debtor in this successful reorganization of a substantial, closely held exploration and production company. The plan of reorganization was confirmed and the company emerged from bankruptcy. The reorganization enabled the company to establish its profitability resulting in the sale of the company.
Other matters include:
- In re Jack/Wade Drilling, Inc., 258 F.3d 385 (5th Cir. 2001)
- First Trust Nat. Ass’n. v. First Nat. Bank of Commerce, 220 F.3d 331 (5th Cir. 2000)
- Matter of U. S. Abatement Corp., 79 F.3d 393 (5th Cir. 1996)
- Matter of Washington, 967 F.2d 173 (5th Cir. 1992)
- Matter of River Products, 954 F.2d 722 (1992) (affirming In re River Products, Inc., Civ. A. No. 91-1303, 1991 WL 148119 (E.D. La. Jul. 31, 1991)), cert. denied sub nom Amwest Surety Ins. Co. v. United Fidelity Trust Co. Inc., 505 U.S. 1221, 112 S. Ct. 3032, 120 L. Ed. 2d 902 (1992)
- Matter of Clark Pipe & Supply Co., Inc., 82 B.R. 21 (5/23/88); aff’d and remanded, 870 F.2d 1022 (4/25/89); withdrawing and superseding opinion on rehearing, 893 F.2d 693 (5th Cir. 1990)
- Matter of Evangeline Refining Co., 890 F.2d 1312 (5th Cir. 1989)
- Caillouet v. First Bank and Trust, 548 F.3d 344 (5th Cir. 2008), reversing 347 B.R. 550 (Bankr. E.D. La. 2006), which had been affirmed by 368 B.R. 520 (E.D. La. 2007)
- Adams Vessel (Bilbao) Ltd. v. Torch, Inc., Civ. A. No. 04-3471, 2005 WL 1431711 (E.D. La. May 19, 2005)
- Crescent City Liquidation Trust v. Mirage Resorts, Inc., Civ. A. No. 01-899, 2002 WL 1046709 (E.D. La. May 20, 2002)
- In re Elmwood Partners, L.L.C., Civ. A. No. 01-2662, 2002 WL 654105 (E.D. La. April 18, 2002)
- In re Service Marine Industries, Inc., Civ. A. No. 00-2344, 2000 WL 1673061 (E.D. La. Nov. 3, 2000)
- In re Service Marine Industries, Inc., Civ. A. No. 00-579, 2000 WL 777912 (E.D. La. May 30, 2000)
- Hospital Service District No. 3 of the Parish of Lafourche State of Louisiana d/b/a Thibodaux Regional Medical Center v. Fidelity & Deposit Company of Maryland, Civ. A. No. 99-0752, 1999 WL 294795 (E.D. La. May 11, 1999)
- Inter Urban Broadcasting of Cincinnati, Inc. v. Lewis, Misc. A. Nos. 94-3126 and 95-0523, 1994 WL 774050 (E.D. La. Mar. 14, 1995)
- In re Inter Urban Broadcasting of Cincinnati, Inc., Civ. A. Nos. 94-2382 and 94-2383, 1994 WL 646176 (E.D. La. Nov. 16, 1994)
- Delta Energy Resources, Inc. v. Damson Oil Corp., 72 B.R. 7 (W.D. La. 1985)
- In re Pallet Reefer Company, 233 B.R. 687 (Bankr. E.D. La. 1999)
- Matter of Bergeron, 218 B.R. 1003 (Bankr. E.D. La. 1998)
- Matter of Enjet, Inc., 205 B.R. 803 (Bankr. E.D. La. 1997)
- Matter of Inter Urban Broadcasting of Cincinnati, Inc., 180 B.R. 153 (Bankr. E.D. La. 1995)
- In re Evangeline Refining Co., Inc., 37 B.R. 450 (Bankr. W.D. La. 1984)
- South Louisiana Ethanol, LLC v. CHS-SLE Land, LLC, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 7870, January 23, 2012, Decided, January 23, 2012
- South Louisiana Ethanol, LLC v. Agrico Sales, Inc., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6465, January 19, 2012, Decided January 20, 2012
- In Re: South Louisiana Ethanol, LLC, Debtor, 2010 Bankr. LEXIS 5602, Decided October 27, 2010
- In Re: OCA, Inc., et al., Debtors, 2007 Bankr. LEXIS 4977, Decided January 26, 2007
- In Re: Entergy New Orleans, Inc., Debtor, 2007 Bankr. LEXIS 1632, Decided May 7, 2007
- In Re: Entringer Bakeries, Inc., 548 F.3d 344 (U.S. 5th Cir. 3/26/99)