Liskow has a nationally recognized maritime transactional team. Having offices located adjacent to the Gulf of Mexico and the Mississippi River has allowed our lawyers to gain considerable experience with both brown water and blue water marine transactional work, and particularly the contractual risk allocation and insurance obligations required for complex marine and energy projects. We frequently find this expertise is sought by clients all over the world.
Liskow offers a broad range of marine transactional and vessel documentation services to our clients. We also provide regulatory advice needed to properly navigate the finer points of Jones Act cabotage laws regulating the ownership and operation of vessels in the waters of the United States. Our maritime and business transactional practice groups work together closely to service the needs of our marine industry clients, serving vessel operators, and those who do business with them, including investors, lenders, and customers.
Our team routinely handles:
- Vessel Construction Contracts and Vessel Construction Loans
- Capital Construction Funds
- Marine Finance
- Perfection and Enforcement of Ship Mortgages and Maritime Liens
- Charter Party Agreements
- Contracts of Carriage and Affreightment
- Towage Contracts
- Master Service Agreements
- Offshore Drilling Contracts
- Logistics Contracts
- Offshore Infrastructure Development, including traditional oil and gas as well as offshore wind and energy projects
- Jones Act Compliance Advice, including regulatory compliance guidance letters from US Customs Service
- LNG Projects and Transportation
- American Fisheries Act Compliance Advice for Owners of Fishing Industry Vessels and their Lenders
- Acquisitions and Divestitures of Marine Assets and the Ownership of the Marine Operators
- Salvage and Wreck Removal Projects
While located on the Gulf of Mexico, our marine transactional work is both national and international in scope, with marine industry clients throughout the United States and overseas. We have extensive experience in marine finance work for both lenders and borrowers and are recognized by Chambers, Best Lawyers, and US News for our work in this field. Our firm’s attorneys have unique experience in establishing and administering Capital Construction Funds, a means of tax deferral on operating income and capital gains from the sale of certain vessels.
When transactions become troubled or marine incidents occur, Liskow has a talented team of admiralty lawyers with extensive experience in enforcing maritime lien claims and preferred ship mortgages, vessel arrests and cargo claims. Our firm represented BP in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and continues to handle claims arising out of the environmental damage resulting from that incident. We recently handled regulatory response, contracts and litigation relating to the casualty and wreck removal of the GOLDEN RAY car carrier offshore Georgia, the largest marine insurance claim in the world in 2019 and one of the largest wreck removal jobs in the history of the world’s marine industry. The firm also has a lead role in the SEACOR POWER liftboat casualty and wreck removal.