Liskow, the Diversity Committee, and I.D.E.A.L. (Interoffice Diversity Engagement at Liskow) wish to recognize National Hispanic Heritage Month, which began on September 15 and runs through October 15. National Hispanic Heritage Month recognizes and celebrates the cultures, histories, and contributions of Americans of Spanish, Mexican, Caribbean, and Central and South American ancestry.
National Hispanic Heritage Month originated under President Lyndon Johnson in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week. In 1988, President Ronald Reagan expanded Hispanic Heritage Week into a month-long observance. On August 17, 1988, Public Law 100-402 authorized the formal designation of September 15 through October 15 as National Hispanic Heritage Month.
Several important anniversaries and holidays are observed during the month. September 15 is the anniversary for the independence of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Mexico’s independence is celebrated on September 16. Chile’s independence is celebrated on September 18. Additionally, Día de la Raza is observed on the second Monday in October.
In his September 14, 2021, Proclamation on National Hispanic Heritage Month, President Biden explained that “[d]uring National Hispanic Heritage Month, we recognize that Hispanic heritage is American heritage” and remarked that the month “is an important reminder of how much strength we draw as a Nation from our immigrant roots and our values as a Nation of immigrants.”
For additional resources on National Hispanic Heritage Month, please see:
- Smithsonian Heritage and History Month Events: https://www.si.edu/events/heritagemonth
- National Archives site for Hispanic Heritage Month: https://www.archives.gov/news/topics/hispanic-heritage-month
- President Biden’s Proclamation on National Hispanic Heritage Month: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/09/14/a-proclamation-on-national-hispanic-heritage-month-2021/
- New Orleans Public Library resources on Hispanic Heritage Month: http://nolalibrary.org/article/211/2021-hispanic-heritage-month
- Houston Public Media Celebrates Hispanic Heritage: https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/hispanic-heritage-month/