Marguerite L. "Peggy" Adams
Hancock Whitney Center
701 Poydras Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70139
Peggy Adams is a business lawyer known for her sophisticated transactional work involving large, complex industrial plants in Louisiana. She practices in the areas of real estate, finance, general business, probate and estate planning. Peggy represents developers and business owners in asset acquisitions, and in the purchase, construction and financing of commercial office buildings, hotels, residential subdivisions, shopping centers and industrial facilities.
In addition, Peggy helps businesses with the preparation of leases, restructuring of partnerships, and real estate sales.
Peggy, a board-certified estate planning and administration specialist, is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. She advises clients about wills, trusts and estate planning, including the disposition of closely-held businesses, taxation of estates and other estate planning needs. In addition, she handles probate matters and represents trustees and corporate fiduciaries.
Peggy has handled the following transactions:
- Acquisition by Methanex of property in Ascension Parish, Louisiana for relocation of its methanol plant that was located in Chile
- Refinancing of the Noranda Plant in Geismar, Louisiana
- Management buy-out of the Gaylord chemical plant
- Sale of the Windsor Court Hotel by an affiliate of Orient Express
- Acquisition and development of real estate subdivisions for D.R. Horton
- Louisiana State Bar Association - Member, Board of Governors, 2013-2015
- Board Certified Estate Planning and Administration Specialist
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel - Fellow; State Laws Committee - Chairman, 2004-2007
- Louisiana State Law Institute - Member of the Council; Successions and Donations Committee - Member; Trust Code Committee -Member, Property Law Committee - Member
- Louisiana State Bar Association - Board of Governors - Member 2013-2015, Trusts, Estates, Probate and Immovable Property Law Section, Chair, 1995-1996; Specialization Commission, Estate Planning, 1996-1997
- New Orleans, Louisiana State, and American Bar Associations - Member
- Archdiocese of New Orleans Finance Council - Member
- Lambeth House - Board of Directors
- Loyola University New Orleans - Board of Trustees
- Greater New Orleans Foundation Cornerstone Council - Chairman, 2013-2015
- Audubon Riverside Neighborhood Association - Past President
- Community Advisory Group for the City of New Orleans Master Plan - Former Member
- CREW, Commercial Real Estate Women, New Orleans - Board of Directors, 2002-2004
- Academy of the Sacred Heart of New Orleans - Board of Trustees, 1994-2000; President of Alumnae Association, 2006-2008
- Academy of the Sacred Heart Alumna of the Year, 2008
- New Orleans Speech and Hearing Center - President, Board of Trustees, 1994-1995
- Catholic Foundation - Board of Trustees, 1995-1997
- Best Lawyers' Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year," 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2003-2020
- New Orleans Magazine's List of "Top Lawyers," 2016 - 2019
- Best Lawyers' Real Estate Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2015, 2018
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, Top 50 attorneys in Louisiana for several years, including 2018
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, Top 25 female lawyers in Louisiana, 2018-2020
- Chambers USA - Real Estate, 2007-2019, and High Net Worth, 2016-2019
- New Orleans CityBusiness Women of the Year Award, 2011
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law Award, 2006
- “Legal Status of Assisted Suicide in the US and Canada,” The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel’s Summer Meeting, June 2017
Peggy is actively involved as a Member of the Council of the Louisiana State Law Institute. "I serve on the Successions and Donations Committee, the Trust Code Committee, and the Property Law Committee" she noted. "These committees are charged with updating and revising Louisiana law in the areas of Wills, Probate, Trusts and Real Property."
Peggy loves cycling, reading, and travel. She loves all kinds of books, particularly historical fiction, which adds a lot of texture and context to her travels. She and her husband, Tom, enjoy bike trips in Europe and try to spend a week in Paris each year.
Peggy has two grown daughters, Maggie and Claire, and a son-in-law, Marcus, and she welcomed her first grandchild Ada last year. She enjoys spending time with them – and when possible, bringing them along on trips.