1001 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77002
John Almy is a business lawyer who focuses on the creation, drafting and negotiation of oilfield operational contracts with experience in both domestic and international work. John has extensive experience helping clients design and implement risk allocation programs using indemnity and insurance concepts for work in Texas, Louisiana and the Gulf Coast, and has assisted clients with their endeavors in locations stretching from Colorado to Israel and North Dakota to Venezuela.
Clients routinely turn to John for help with drilling contracts, master service agreements and master time charters among other agreements.
Here's an example of how John takes a comprehensive view:
- An operator needed assistance reviewing a master service agreement to hire a service contractor. After discussing the client’s business needs and risk tolerance, John was able to update the form to better address the client’s needs while revising several provisions that were either out of date given the current state of the law, allocated an unnecessarily significant amount of risk to the client, or were simply out of line with current market conditions. Following a discussion of the changes, the client asked John to handle the subsequent negotiation.
- An operator had been presented with an IADC drilling contract form – a common document in the oilfield, but one that allocates far more risk to the operator than most realize – and was under significant time pressure to get the contract executed. John highlighted the critical issues, advised the client on areas where they could mitigate their risk through their own efforts, and together they cut down the list of desired changes to a very specific few. The needed changes were secured quickly and the client was able to drill their well without delay.
John also advises clients with respect to indemnity arrangements in areas outside of oilfield service contracts, from downstream oil and gas contexts to construction contracts, and even real estate deals, including the impact of relevant state law on those agreements.
- The Foundation For Natural Resources and Energy Law, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators, Member
- "Insuring Your Risks: Do You Have What You Need?," Liskow & Lewis' Houston Forum Series, March 22, 2017
- "Mock Negotiation of an Oilfield Contract," Liskow & Lewis Oilfield Indemnity and Insurance Seminar, October 18, 2016, Houston, Texas
- "Using Insurance to Support Contractual Risk Allocation," Houston RIMS Luncheon, June 15, 2016
- "Mock Negotiation of an Offshore Drilling Contract," IRMI Energy Risk and Insurance Conference, March 2, 2016
- "Contractual Indemnity and Insurance Concepts," Liskow & Lewis Energy Law Seminar, November 11, 2015, Houston, Texas
- "Mock Negotiation of an Oilfield Contract," Liskow & Lewis Oilfield Indemnity and Insurance Seminar, October 30, 2014, Houston, Texas
- "Indemnity Agreements in Mergers and Acquisitions," The Institute for Energy Law’s Mergers and Acquisitions/Acquisitions and Disposals Conference, May 2014
- Environmental Impacts of Oil and Gas Production, Environmental Indemnity and Insurance Challenges, January 31, 2014
- State Bar of Texas 25th Annual Real Estate Drafting Course, Drafting an Effective, Enforceable Indemnity, March 6-7, 2014
"I enjoy staying active, whether crossfit, running, cycling, or playing lacrosse. Or often just spending time in the back yard with my dog, Dignan."
Prior to law school, John taught high school and coached lacrosse in the Houston Independent School District.