For many years, Liskow & Lewis has worked to build diversity within our firm. We formalized our commitment 12 years ago, with the adoption of a Strategic Plan for Recruitment, Advancement and Retention of Minority Lawyers. Since that time, the firm’s commitment to and progress in pursuit of increased diversity has won formal recognition from the Louisiana State Bar Association as well as key clients. In 2017, BP recognized Liskow with the inaugural BP Legal Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Award. In the spring of 2016, the firm hosted a firm/client collaborative workshop on diversity, led by Dr. Arin Reeves, a leading national researcher, author, and advisor in the fields of leadership and inclusion.
The firm strives to provide diverse lawyers with the professional mentoring and training necessary to develop their practice and build client relationships. The fact that we are making measurable progress is reflected in the promotion of minority and women attorneys to positions of leadership within the firm.
Outside our Organization
Liskow & Lewis lawyers have served in leadership roles and actively participate in national and local organizations that promote diversity within the legal profession. To this end:
- The firm is a frequent sponsor of events hosted by professional organizations that share our commitment to diversity in the legal profession. The firm recently sponsored the Houston Bar Association's Gender Fairness Committee 15th Anniversary Celebration and is a frequent sponsor of the Texas Minority Counsel Program;
- Liskow is actively involved in programs that further diversity at law schools in the communities in which we live and work. We annually sponsor and support the Southern University Law Review Banquet and Loyola Black Law Students Association Scholarship Gala, and we recently sponsored the University of Texas Women’s Power Summit on Law & Leadership.
- The firm has hosted mock interview programs for members of law school minority student associations to help improve interview skills.
- Members of our firm volunteer to serve as mentors to minority and women law students, and maintain contacts with staff from the Offices of Career Services of Louisiana and Texas law schools.
Our commitment to diversity is driven not by external pressures. Rather, it is rooted in a belief that our clients are best served by the experience, expertise, and perspective that is the byproduct of rich diversity.
Where We Lead in Diversity
- Louis A. Martinet Legal Society
- The National Bar Association
- The Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- The Women’s Energy Network
- The State Bar of Texas
- Louisiana State Bar Association Diversity Committee; Minority Involvement Section
- New Orleans Bar Association Minorities in the Profession
- The Women’s Business Alliance of the Greater Houston Partnership
- The Hispanic Lawyers Network
- The Houston Bar Association
Our Diverse Leaders
- Chair of Liskow & Lewis’ Diversity Committee
- Board of Directors for the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Board of Directors for Liskow & Lewis
- Board of Directors for Liskow & Lewis
- Former Member of the Board of Directors for Liskow & Lewis
- Hiring Partner for Liskow & Lewis
- Chair of Liskow & Lewis’ Paralegal Committee
- Charter and Founding Member of the Louisiana Chapter of the Women’s Energy Network
- Immediate Past President of the Greater New Orleans Louis A. Martinet Society
- President of the New Orleans Bar Association
- Chair of the 28th Annual Justice For All Ball
- Chair of Liskow & Lewis’ Real Estate and Succession Section
- Chair of Liskow & Lewis’ Technology Committee
- Practice Group Leader for Liskow & Lewis’ Business Section, Houston Office
- Board of Advisors for the Tulane Maritime Law Center
- Young Lawyers Division Executive Board for the Jefferson Bar Association
- Board of Directors for VIA LINK
- Board Member for Young Friends of CanCare
- President of the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Board of Directors for the Association of Employee Benefit Planners of New Orleans
Recruiting and Professional Development
Liskow & Lewis regularly recruits top graduates from leading law schools in Louisiana, Texas and across the country, including those students who share our commitment to continuing the development of a diverse firm culture.
To accomplish this:
- We regularly participate in the LSBA Minority Job Fair and the Tulane Diversity Clerkship Program for summer associate positions.
- The firm annually sponsors Southern University’s Law Review Induction Ceremony and Awards Banquet.
- Liskow & Lewis is proud to have sponsored the student breakfast for the Sunbelt Minority Job Fair in Dallas, Texas, one of the nation’s largest minority-oriented recruitment programs.
- The firm sponsored the 2016 National Black Law Students Association’s Inaugural Regional Convention.
While identifying and recruiting successful minority students and lawyers is critical to our diversity efforts, Liskow & Lewis believes that mentoring and assisting our young lawyers in their professional development is equally important.
- Our Associate Training Committee meets monthly with associates to tackle various topics ranging from practical training to client development;
- The firm’s Mentoring Program provides each young lawyer with additional guidance on how to meet the demands of their profession;
- Realizing that women lawyers and minorities may face unique challenges during their careers, the Diversity Committee ensures that these lawyers receive the advice and assistance necessary to meet their professional development needs as well as the needs of their clients. Through participation in events as the annual American Conference Institute’s Law Firm Diversity Forum, the University of Texas Women's Power Summit on Law and Leadership and DRI’s Diversity for Success Seminar, Liskow & Lewis continues our pursuit of innovative and effective methods of assisting our young lawyers.
"The firm’s approach to selecting and hiring young lawyers for a CAREER at Liskow & Lewis is very attractive to women lawyers – who wouldn’t want the opportunity day in/day out to do challenging work for top-notch clients in an environment where your voice is heard, your opinion valued? This firm is about long-term relationships, and I think that helps promote an environment where women lawyers can see the path to success.”
- Jana Grauberger, Shareholder
Diversity and Inclusion Firm Events
[ "lightbox" : "Diversity" ]