Dana M. Douglas Shareholder, New Orleans
Ms. Douglas' practice emphasizes commercial, energy and intellectual property litigation. She represents an array of clients from diverse industries.
She represents clients in energy matters involving breach of contract issues, exploration and production disputes, expropriation, landowner/mineral lessee disputes (including legacy litigation), royalty and related litigation, and oil and gas marketing disputes. She has also represented clients in matters that focused on pipeline servitudes, rights-of-way, easements and other matters.
Ms. Douglas has handled cases involving trademark, copyright, patent infringement, trade secret litigation and cybersquatting. She also has experience in prosecuting trademark and trade name applications and drafting intellectual property licensing and work-for-hire agreements.
Ms. Douglas has also worked in the sports law arena. She has assisted both individuals and organizations with various issues related to commercial transactions, tax and intellectual property - including cybersquatting and rights of publicity.
Ms. Douglas served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ivan L.R. Lemelle, Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 2000–2001.Recent Representative Matters:
- Obtained a favorable decision for an independent oil and gas exploration and production company in an environmental remediation legacy lawsuit
- Defending major oil company from claims by parish governments that seek damages and land restoration allegedly caused by non-compliance with environmental permits
- Defending major oil companies in claim by state agency seeking billions of dollars for alleged marsh loss in southeast Louisiana
- Defended major oil company in claims arising out of a well blowout and the sinking of a semi-submersible drilling rig
- Obtained dismissal of major oil and gas company in a redhibition action
- Obtained a permanent injunction against a former employee of a major oil and gas exploration and production company for misappropriation of the company’s trade secrets
- Successfully defended a local news publication in trade name and trademark lawsuit
- Successfully assisted a major oil and gas company in the debranding of abandoned gasoline facilities across the state of Louisiana.
- Obtained a favorable result for client for use of a domain name in a cybersquatting dispute
- Successfully defended major oil and gas company in a shareholder suit
Honors & Affiliations:
- President of the Greater New Orleans Louis A. Martinet Society
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2015-2017
- Women's Energy Network – Southeast Louisiana Founding Chapter President
- 2013-14 LSBA Crystal Gavel Award Recipient
- New Orleans Civil Service Commission, 2003–2013
- New Orleans Bar Association - President-Elect 2016-2017, Board of Directors
- New Orleans, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations - Intellectual Property Sections, Member
- Loyola University Institute of Politics - Fellow
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law Award, 2007 and 2013
- Louisiana State Bar Association President's Award, 2009
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated - Member
- Named a "Rising Star" in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2012–2013
- Monte M. Lemann Award Recipient, 2012
- 2013 Loyola Alumni Women in Law Honoree
- Sports Lawyers Association - Member
- "Breaking News: What the Headlines Can Teach Us About Lawyer Misconduct," January 20, 2010 and Winter 2008
- "Social Networking and Legal Ethics," Spring and Fall 2010, Winter 2009
- "Primer on Legacy Litigation," Fall 2009
- "The Devil Wears Pradeau: The Impact of Counterfeit and Knockoff Merchandise on Intellectual Property Law," Summer 2009 and Winter 2009
- The Changing Political Landscape
- "Attorney General Finds Governor’s Contract for Legal Services Not Approvable, Unacceptable, Illegal, and Unconstitutional," Liskow & Lewis' The Energy Law Blog, September 20, 2016
- "Offshore Companies Face Surge in BSEE Enforcement Actions and Penalties," Liskow & Lewis' The Energy Law Blog, September 19, 2016
- "Are Your Trade Secrets Protected?"
- Co-author of “Intellectual Property and Antitrust Law,” ABA Intellectual Property Deskbook for the Business Lawyer: A Transactions-based guide to Intellectual Property Law, Ch. 13 (2d ed.) 2009.
- "The Business Case for the Recruitment and Retention of Minority and Women Attorneys," The American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, December 2007
- "Hurricane Katrina News: After the Storm," The National Bar Association Commercial Law Section, December 2005