Dana M. Douglas Shareholder, New Orleans
Ms. Douglas' practice emphasizes commercial, energy and intellectual property litigation. She represents an array of clients from diverse industries.
She represents clients in energy matters involving breach of contract issues, exploration and production disputes, expropriation, landowner/mineral lessee disputes (including legacy litigation), royalty and related litigation, and oil and gas marketing disputes. She has also represented clients in matters that focused on pipeline servitudes, rights-of-way, easements and other matters.
Ms. Douglas has handled cases involving trademark, copyright, patent infringement, trade secret litigation and cybersquatting. She also has experience in prosecuting trademark and trade name applications and drafting intellectual property licensing and work-for-hire agreements.
Ms. Douglas has also worked in the sports law arena. She has assisted both individuals and organizations with various issues related to commercial transactions, tax and intellectual property - including cybersquatting and rights of publicity.
Ms. Douglas served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ivan L.R. Lemelle, Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 2000–2001.Recent Representative Matters:
- Obtained a favorable decision for an independent oil and gas exploration and production company in an environmental remediation legacy lawsuit
- Defending major oil company from claims by parish governments that seek damages and land restoration allegedly caused by non-compliance with environmental permits
- Defending major oil companies in claim by state agency seeking billions of dollars for alleged marsh loss in southeast Louisiana
- Defended major oil company in claims arising out of a well blowout and the sinking of a semi-submersible drilling rig
- Obtained dismissal of major oil and gas company in a redhibition action
- Obtained a permanent injunction against a former employee of a major oil and gas exploration and production company for misappropriation of the company’s trade secrets
- Successfully defended a local news publication in trade name and trademark lawsuit
- Successfully assisted a major oil and gas company in the debranding of abandoned gasoline facilities across the state of Louisiana.
- Obtained a favorable result for client for use of a domain name in a cybersquatting dispute
- Successfully defended major oil and gas company in a shareholder suit