George Denegre, Jr. Shareholder, New OrleansMr. Denegre, a member of the firm’s Business Litigation Group, focuses his practice on corporate business litigation, with emphasis on securities, franchise, professional liability, and trademark litigation. His litigation experience also includes business torts, antitrust, trusts and estates, and many types of contract disputes.
He has an in-depth background in the resolution of competitor disputes and the remedies and defenses available under Louisiana law. Class action, multidistrict, and other types of complex, multiparty litigation also are among his areas of experience.
He was recently named Best Lawyers
' 2013 New Orleans Litigation – Securities "Lawyer of the Year."
In securities litigation, Mr. Denegre has represented broker/dealers in individual customer disputes and in cases relating to broker recruiting and termination. He has been a securities arbitrator and has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution forums, both in arbitration and mediation.
Additionally, Mr. Denegre frequently represents automobile and truck manufacturers before the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission and has litigated in state and federal courts, and before administrative bodies and arbitration panels.
He is included in The Best Lawyers in America
and listed in New Orleans Magazine
’s “Top Lawyers in New Orleans."
Recent representative matters include:
- With other attorneys, secured denial of class certification to service station owners allegedly impacted by tainted gasoline. MP Vista, Inc. v. Motiva Enters., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 134607, (E.D.La. 9/20/12).
- Part of the appellate team that secured reversal, in part, by the Louisiana Supreme Court, of a multi-million dollar jury verdict against an oil and gas operator for land contamination, breach of contract, tort, misrepresentation, and wanton and reckless conduct. Marin v. Exxon Mobil Corp., 2009-2368 (La. 10/19/2010), 48 So. 3d 234. (2010).
- Led appellee team in case resulting in an important decision by the Louisiana Supreme Court on the re-perfection of creditor’s security interest under the Louisiana Commercial Code. First Nat’l Bank v. Pearl River Fabricators, Inc., 971 So. 2d 302 (La. 2008).
- Successfully represented hospital in a multi-million dollar dispute with its tenants’ insurer on a complex subrogation claim. Lifecare Hosps. of New Orleans, LLC v. Lifemark Hosps. of Louisiana, Inc., 984 So. 2d 894 (La. App. 5 Cir. 2008).
- Successfully defended insurance agents in myriad claims arising out of the sale of an employee welfare benefit plan. See Boes Iron Works, LLC v. Galatas, 974 So. 2d 713 (La. App. 5th Cir. 2007).
- With other attorneys, secured a federal court ruling striking down Louisiana’s “violent video game” statute as violative of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and enjoining enforcement of the statute. See Entertainment Software Association v. Foti, et al., 451 F. Supp. 2d 823 (M.D. La. 2006).
- Successfully defended a local news publication in trade name and trademark lawsuit.
- Successfully assisted a major oil and gas company in the debranding of abandoned gasoline facilities across the State of Louisiana.
Honors & Affiliations:
- Best Lawyers’ 2013 New Orleans Litigation – Securities "Lawyer of the Year"
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2005–2014
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2013–2014
- New Orleans Magazine's “Top Lawyers in New Orleans"
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, Compliance and Legal Division
- New Orleans, Louisiana State, and American Bar Associations - Member
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Morey L. Sear, Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 1983–1984
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees, St. George’s Episcopal School, 2011–2013
- Friends of the New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts Institute – Board of Directors, 1998–2008
- 2014 LSBA Annual Meeting and Summer School: Rule 30(b)(6) Depositions and Subpoenas Duces Tecum: Perils & Pitfalls
- "Ethical Issues in Complex and Multiparty Litigation," Louisiana State Bar Association, 2009
- "Professionalism & Ethics: Watch Your P's & Q's," Louisiana State Bar Association, 2006
- “Securities Law for the Non-Securities Lawyer,” Louisiana State Bar Association Summer School, 2001
- Louisiana State Bar Association's Summer School Revisited, 2001
- "A Meaningful Rule 30(b)(6) Deposition Is Not Always Possible," with Carey L. Menasco, American Bar Association Section of Litigation Professional Liability Litigation Newsletter, Fall 2012, Vol. 9, No. 1
- "Professional Malpractice Peremption: Clarified Through Adversity," 59 La. B. J. 176 (Oct./Nov. 2011)
- "A Bull Market for Investor Claims: Disputes between Customers and Brokers/Brokerage Firms," (with John C. Anjier), 49 La. B.J. 283 (2001–2002)
- "Tortious Interference and Unfair Trade Claims: Louisiana’s Elusive Remedies for Business Interference," (with Shannon S. Holtzman and John A. Lovett), 45 Loy. L. Rev. 395 (1999)
- Note, "Carrier-Owned Shipping Container Found Not to Be a COGSA 'Package,'" 56 Tul. L. Rev. 1409 (1982)